Re: [dev] [OT] software recommendations

From: Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2016 22:50:29 +0200

On 7 April 2016 at 22:42, Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7 April 2016 at 20:05, Mattias Andrée <maandree_AT_kth.se> wrote:
>> I like SYSLINUX, Lilo was a while goal but that is
>> probably great too. I don't know if they can boot
>> BSD but if they have their own bootloaders, you can
>> chainload.
>
> SYSLINUX is 250k SLOC, of course it targets all kinds of different
> boot approaches, but this seems far beyond a real suckless solution.
> (just efi64 of SYSLINUX is 11k SLOC for instance).
>
> For sta.li development I'm currently tempting for ELILO which is
> 14kSLOC and quite maintainable.

Minor remark: EFISTUB is not a real option, as I have encountered
various issues with different UEFI implementations on a range of
hardware so far. For example Dell's xps13 only looks at a specific FAT
path to load the EFISTUB'ed kernel, which is really PITA.

-Anselm

PS: yes I have given up on legacy BIOS approaches...