Re: [dev] [question] Does bash suck?

From: Greg Reagle <greg.reagle_AT_umbc.edu>
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2016 14:13:47 -0400

On 04/23/2016 01:53 PM, Kamil CholewiƄski wrote:
> Make that two, quoting the man page:
>
>> The list flattening operator, $^foo, is spelt $"foo in those versions
>> of the Bell Labs rc which have it.

No, rakitzis's rc accepts both syntaxes. That's why I didn't submit an
issue for it.

> All other incompatibilities seem to be a superset of AT&T's rc's
> functionality, or can be avoided.
>
> And since both of them are named "rc", and are usually present in vastly
> different locations across different platforms, it's practically
> impossible to detect or specify using one vs another in a simple and
> portable way.
>
> I don't understand why... The author went as far as to document all of
> these incompatibilities, why not just fix them?
>
> We could have had a better shell. Such a shame.

If enough people tell rakitzis that compatibility with Plan 9 rc would
be great, maybe (s)he will change his/her mind? It's just one change!
And then scripts using the common subset would run fine with either shell.

Or someone could fork rakitzis's rc and resolve issue #19 [1].

Or someone could fork Plan 9 rc and add history.

[1] https://github.com/rakitzis/rc/issues/19