Re: [dev] [st] Why does F5 capitalize things?

From: Ryan Wilson <ryan_AT_enosys.org>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2016 23:57:25 -0500

 ---- On Sun, 24 Apr 2016 20:21:19 -0500 Ryan Roden-Corrent <ryan_AT_rcorre.net> wrote ----
> I've reported a bug on ctrlp, because F5 seems to work for most other things in
> vim (I can create bindings with it just fine). Still, let me know if anyone has
> suggestions on how to resolve this on my end (I guess I could just always use
> `TERM=xterm vim` until that causes another problem...).

Actually I found it, if you grep the ctrlp source for "xterm" you'll find this:

    if ( has('termresponse') && v:termresponse =~ "\<ESC>" )
        \ || &term =~? '\vxterm|<k?vt|gnome|screen|linux|ansi|tmux'

It's checking that TERM=xterm or some other known terminal. Then it seems like
it sets up keybindings based on that. Add st-256color to that line and it will work.

Checking $TERM against a hardcoded list is a common practice even though it's
not the right way to do things. That's why sometimes you have to set TERM=xterm
to make a program work. I don't think it will actually break anything for vim, it's just
in general not strictly correct.