Re: [dev] Languages that suck (was "Note On Webkit Versions")

From: FRIGN <dev_AT_frign.de>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2016 10:29:58 +0200

On Mon, 2 May 2016 11:12:08 +1000
Timothy Rice <t.rice_AT_ms.unimelb.edu.au> wrote:

Hey Timothy,

> A more experienced developer replied that in fact Go has comparable speed
> to C but does not lead to the same memory management challenges, thus
> should usually be preferred. It appears that most interest in C these days
> is from people who need to work with Arduinos.
>
> So, while we're on the (off-)topic of comparing the suckiness of various
> languages, what do people here think about Go?

thank you for bringing that up!
I'd jump into Go right away if it wasn't for the binary sizes. Go may have
comparable speeds to C and makes a lot of things much simpler to do, but
the binary sizes are just insane. They'll address this in the upcoming
versions, but until then, I'll not look into it.
Once the day comes and a hello world goes below 800K (400K, ...), I'll
definitely look into it.

Cheers

FRIGN

--