Re: [dev] [ii] how do you use it?

From: Josuah 'sshbio' Demangeon <jd_AT_ssh.bio>
Date: Fri, 6 May 2016 17:28:38 +0200

On Fri, May 06, 2016 at 05:20:36PM +0300, Mitt Green wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Sorry for kinda noobish question. I can't figure out
> how ii works. Here's what I did:
>
> 1. compiled it;
> 2. ran "ii -n <ANYRANDOMNAME> -s irc.ubuntu.com" ;
> 3. "echo "/j #ubuntu" > in" ;
> 4. and nothing happened.

I tried this, and it worked for me. What I did (with more details):

$ ii -n ANYRANDOMNAME -s irc.ubuntu.com &
$ cd $HOME/irc/irc.ubuntu.com
$ echo "/j #ubuntu" > ./out # Do not forget the quotes
$ cd "#ubuntu" # We want ~/irc/irc.ubuntu.com/#ubuntu/out
$ tail -f out # / `server / `channel
2016-6-6 17:07:00 -!- ANYRANDOMNAME (~sshbio_AT_myhostname) has joined #ubuntu
2016-6-6 17:07:00 <nick> Message from nick

Make sure that you did not forget the quotes, or properly escaped the
'#' of #ubuntu, which is interpreted as a comment rather than a string
otherwise.

Also, the & forks the ii process in the background. Otherwise if you
hit ^C, it stops ii, and you do can not get or send any more messages.
You can check if it is running with 'ps ax | grep ii' (and list servers
connected to as well).

> I checked ~/irc/irc.ubuntu.com/out and there are
> channel messages, like "Looking up your hostname,
> Checking ident" and all that, ye know.

This is the server channel. If you not killed ii, you should have a
~/irc/irc.ubuntu.com/#ubuntu created, with an 'in' to write messages and
a 'out' to use view them.

> What should I be doing and expecting from ii?
> I have been using XChat/Hexchat,
> they have shiny eyecandy interfaces, and you
> don't do things manually there.

With ii, you first need to understand how it work. Then, to avoid to do
everything manually, you can pick a script that automates a few tasks
(connecting to servers, take input, update the output...).

> Thanks!
> Mitt
>
> P.S. Yes, I've read README, FAQ, man page and
> web page, but still confused.

I joined #suckless-ii at irc.freenode.net. It is usually #suckless at
irc.oftc.net, but it is not a support channel so I will not go there for
for no confusion.