Re: [dev] Re: Linux distros that don't suck too too much

From: hiro <23hiro_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2016 22:48:24 +0200

> So it could be simple by its implementation, by its design, and simple
> to use even for persons rarely using computers if at all, even
> indication on how to interact with the keyboard are provided.

I agree with your implications. Suckless is not about understanding
every shitty software in great detail.
I can divide into a careful selection of small useful, simple tools, a
bigger selection of useful, but not very simple tools and an even
bigger selection of useless and very complex tools.
The biggest enemy is the last group. As it's also the biggest
selecting (specifying) it is impossible (I can smell, but I can't
teach you to smell). By selecting the first (base tools in my OS) and
second group (stupid extensions like ssl and webkit) we have achieved
the same much easier. We can distance ourselves from the third.

Computers are complex, but their purpose is to make our lifes easier.
To put things on a scale, humans are anyway even more complex.
With the correct collaboration we're able to make computers useful, we
build good abstraction layers, interfaces that hide other people's
responsibilities and contribute to net benefit by doing stuff in our
limited domain. But we all effect everything together.

We at suckless believe in certain abstraction layers and detest many
mainstream linux ones.
Especially plan9 and unix has brought to us the idea of the files and
folders abstraction, we are saddened by people reinventing less
capable abstractions for the same purposes.

When you leave away most other shitty abstraction layers there are
very few left that you would need to learn about. Clearly some other
people on this list haven't done their job here yet, be humble,
please, cause you are not our genius and savior.

The things that I value most are also the most simple. Finding
simplicity though is only to be accomplished by the best. Most of us
can't actually contribute much to it. So at least make sure that
what's already there can be used and what is clearly evil is
discouraged of by demonstration of real alternatives. If we were not
able to show off that our way is better we would have to admit
failure.

We technologists are not the only ones who learned from Unix and Plan9.
Many normal people around me with very little computer training use
files and folders more wisely than most nerds could even dream of.
Some things are *not* a matter of experience, some are also a matter
of intelligence or even more banal, discipline.