Re: [dev] running dwm from/with gnome

From: Eric Pruitt <eric.pruitt_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2016 16:13:52 -0700

On Mon, May 16, 2016 at 03:00:16PM -0800, Britton Kerin wrote:
> I just made .xinit:
>
> $ ls -l .xinitrc
> -rw-r--r-- 1 bkerin bkerin 9 May 16 14:50 .xinitrc
> $ cat .xinitrc
> exec dwm
> $
>
> I slightly remember doing that 20 years ago or so, fun. But it doesn't
> seem to work nowadays at least on debian 8.4. I still get gnome
> even after a reboot. Perhaps the tutorial Launching section should
> be removed since wrong stuff is worse than nothing. I wouldn't ask
> dwm to cover how to avoid gnome under all circumstances, maybe
> just a pointer a good source on the gruesome details would be good.

X11 session initialization varies between distros, so it's hard to write
something that applies to everyone. For example, when I used an RHEL
desktop for the very first time a few months ago, I discovered you have
to install an additional package to have the startup process read a
local X11 session file.

My personal desktop and laptop run on Debian 8, and I have a ~/.xsession
file (attached to this message) that contains my startup script. Using
~/.xinitrc _might_ work on Debian, but I don't know for sure. At the
very least, you need to make sure the script is executable, which is not
the case above.

I also have the following in the Makefile I use for configuration new
machines:

    # The default XFCE4 session in Debian will always attempt to launch
    # orage, xfdesktop and xfce4-panel regardless of the local session.
    # Since the init script is executed as the user, and I never use
    # these programs, simply symlinking them to /bin/true somewhere in
    # the PATH effectively disables them.
    $(HOME)/bin/orage:
            ln -s /bin/true $_AT_

    $(HOME)/bin/xfdesktop: