Re: [dev] [sup] Bring the simple user privilege escalation tool back home?

From: Marc André Tanner <mat_AT_brain-dump.org>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2016 19:32:46 +0200

On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 08:54:19AM +0200, Anselm R Garbe wrote:
> On 16 May 2016 at 23:22, Marc André Tanner <mat_AT_brain-dump.org> wrote:
> > On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 01:27:40PM +0200, FRIGN wrote:
> >> I think the vis editor alone is enough bloat in the suckless
> >> repositories.
> >
> > I don't know what vis has to do with the original thread, nonetheless
> > it would be interesting to know which aspects of vis you consider
> > bloated?
>
> I can only imagine he meant sandy which I would suggest to be removed asap.

In principle sandy is a fine editor, it has a few nice ideas (doing
as much as possible with external tools, the prompt handling, a very
simplistic approach to syntax highlighting etc.) and should be
positioned as a simpler nano. It also has various limitations which
I deemed unacceptable for vis, but they are mostly there by design
as a result of its simplicity.

My main critique concerns the introduction of vi like key bindings,
which seem bolted on and in my opinion do not fit its design at all.
Adding them was a mistake.

--
 Marc André Tanner >< http://www.brain-dump.org/ >< GPG key: 10C93617