Re: [dev] pledge(2) patches

From: Ben Woolley <tautolog_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2016 13:11:15 -0700

> On Jun 5, 2016, at 11:59 AM, FRIGN <dev_AT_frign.de> wrote:
>
> On Fri, 03 Jun 2016 19:46:18 +0200
> Christoph Lohmann <20h_AT_r-36.net> wrote:
>
> Hey Christoph,
>
>> Adding sloc will never get you security.
>
> This is right in many cases, but for pledge(1) it makes sense,
> however, there are 2 reasons why I would oppose a mainline-
> include as well:
>
> 1) starting with #ifdefs is a long road and can lead to hard
> to read code ("ifdef-hell")
> 2) the usage-stats of OpenBSD don't justify the inclusion
> unfortunately.

Regarding #2, the usage stats of openbsd should be joined with the usage stats of st. I don't know the answer, but I am guessing not insignificant, especially since an openbsd user was driven to do it already. And it might increase now that it has pledge support. Terminals accept arbitrary input, so pledge support could be a very desirable and well-suited feature.