Re: [dev] [st] bitmap font and chscale 1< line drawing bug

From: Eric Pruitt <eric.pruitt_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2016 18:01:48 -0700

On Wed, Sep 07, 2016 at 05:51:49PM -0700, lemon_AT_bitmessage.ch wrote:
> After moving to st-0.7, I am experiencing a bug with line drawing. When
> using a bitmap font (eg terminus) and a chscale=1.2 in config.h, every
> vertical line has gaps in it (ex tree or tmux). This persists for different bitmap fonts
> but goes away when chscale is set to 1.0.

Did this not happen before st-0.7? I implemented the ch* factors in a
simple way just to control the invisible bounding boxes for each
character, and they don't scale the font itself; the behavior you're
seeing is working as intended, and it's also what I observed when I was
testing the feature and experimented with different scaling factors. I
have noticed that on some operating systems, even using the exact same
st compile options and fonts, I get slightly different results -- on my
work computer, there are 1-pixel gaps between vertical lines (not pipe
but "│"), but at home, the gaps aren't there. I don't find this annoying
enough to invest any effort into figuring out why that happens despite
both computers being Debian-based.

Eric