Re: [dev] app locations?

From: Ali H. Fardan <raiz_AT_firemail.cc>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2016 19:47:16 +0300

On 2016-10-17 19:44, alp_AT_alexpilon.ca wrote:
>> Throw away your Linux-ish idea of "everything is a package",
>
> What the heck is wrong with that?

Relax, okay, just relax.

> And why argue against, if you mentioned it in the first place? I was
> just pointing out an inconsistency in how it was presented, as if /bin
> wasn't managed by the package manager. Geez.

if you're following the /usr/* hierarchy, then /bin is not meant to be
messed with consistently, package managers are not supposed to touch it.

>> and take a look at BSD systems, they provide tarballs for updating
>> your system,
>
> Whole system tarballs? So we're doing stable releases or big lumbering
> version changes? If so, great. I'm out of here.

No, look at OpenBSD's snapshots[0] which is basically, a rolling release
system.

>> which are maintain by the mainstream distribution, and are not under
>> the
>> risk of breaking because of a silly package manager mistake.
>
> That's not an argument. You can break things with the other methods.
> You
> blaming the package manager, or are you confusing it with all the
> libpng's ABI or libsfml's ABI changed and half my packages are on the
> old version bullshit?

that's dynamic linking issue.

>> > Some of us currently use package managers that bootstrap the system
>> > though.
>>
>> I have nothing against this, but I prefer the BSD way of doing it.
>
> Can we just say "unpack a tarball?" [, chroot, configure]?

there is no need for the chroot...