Re: [dev] [stali] Boot time (was: The stali way to wifi)

From: Paul Menzel <pmenzel_AT_molgen.mpg.de>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2016 12:19:52 +0200

Dear Anselm, and suckless folks,

On 10/21/16 11:48, Anselm R Garbe wrote:
> On 21 October 2016 at 10:01, Kamil CholewiƄski <harry666t_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 20 Oct 2016, Laslo Hunhold <dev_AT_frign.de> wrote:
>>> as an off-idea: How are startup-times of stali? Given the power of
>>> machines today, there should not be many things limiting a startup in
>>> just a few seconds. Any data on that?
>>
>> Oh just try it. I was truly amazed.
>> From bootloader to login prompt in like a second? Wow.
>
> Yes, on the pi3 it takes about 2-3s, but on a regular x86 machine it
> should take <2s.
>
> I've been arguing against MS Windows' misdesign to reboot the system
> on configuration changes. But from a stali perspective I kind of
> prefer rebooting the system for the prize of avoiding a daemon or
> runlevel management. It's simpler and it also makes you "configuring"
> a system less.
>
> "Configuring" is always an indicator of suckiness.

I totally agree. Same goes for suspend to RAM in my opinion.

Now the point is, that firmware sucks too. Nowadays, firmware often
takes longer to start than the operating system.

Fortunately, coreboot [1] fixes that, and on certain (supported) systems
only takes 500 ms to initialize the hardware.

This way, you can reboot systems, even servers, for a Linux kernel
upgrade, and nobody will notice it.

Kind regards,

Paul

[1] https://www.coreboot.org