Re: [dev] Collecting sins of Apple

From: Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2016 12:53:36 +0200

On 23 October 2016 at 23:44, Laslo Hunhold <dev_AT_frign.de> wrote:
> "People who are really serious about software should make their
> own hardware."
>
> And this approach works: Macs are reliable and used to be very reliable
> machines, as already pointed out in this thread IBM found that out as
> well a while ago.

I kind of disagree here. I'm using both, PC laptops and MacBooks and
besides the aluminium case and the screen, MacBooks are in no way
superior or more reliable than the competition -- both in terms
hardware and software.

To bring it to one sentence, Apple is about providing their stuff as
incompatible as possible with all non-Apple stuff.

It starts with the power cable, proceeds with the keyboard layout,
goes on with accessory cable adapters and doesn't end with their
software stack consisting of propietary Apple-only protocols to gain
the "best experience" (a recent example is Apples new earpot -- the
best voice quality can only be got when using a recent iPhone).

I don't really like this. I don't support this monoculturalism.

-Anselm