Re: [dev] Collecting sins of Apple

From: stephen Turner <stephen.n.turner_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2016 08:33:02 -0400

while my mac experience is limited to only 1 year, i can say that
sticking to mavericks (10.9.5) and el capitan (10.11.6) have been
exceptionally stable. Some antivirus programs such as mcafee have been
known to corrupt files on the mac as was our issue previously but have
since switched to a dedicated mac AV and no further issues have
occurred. I think the point that could have been missed here is that
IBM is not only using mac, they are also using JAMF a SCCM management
suite for the mac. It is very powerful in its ability to automate
deployments, set up "zero config", and essentially eliminate for the
most part the typical setup and maintenance of windows systems. One
can still achieve better with Linux but in the commercial markets
Jamf+Mac is better than the windows solutions. As with any deployments
and software you never want to be on the bleeding edge either unless
you like death by a thousand cuts. we have only recently updated to
10.11.6 and will wait for Sierra (just released) until were confident
it too has matured.

With jamf its simple to deploy the latest software, set up one policy
to download the package, then later after it has been downloaded a
separate workflow to trigger the install. Jamf is able to update
systems not on the company network which in my experience i have not
seen from windows and SCCM but thats not to say it could not be set up
for them as well.

With a special program (name eludes me at the moment) the company macs
can be forced to call home from anywhere in the world and if wiped
they can be reimaged remotely! pretty nifty.

Apple has a lot of issues, but the Mac+JAMF combo is powerful enough
that i believe IBM really is saving $500 a person, if apple wasn't so
expensive it would easily grow its base rapidly. But again its not
perfect, just better than windows.