Re: [dev] Request for name suggestions: suckless video editor

From: Mattias Andrée <maandree_AT_kth.se>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2017 14:20:06 +0100

On Thu, 12 Jan 2017 13:55:36 +0100
Laslo Hunhold <dev_AT_frign.de> wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Jan 2017 02:12:11 +0100
> Mattias Andrée <maandree_AT_kth.se> wrote:
>
> Hey Mattias,
>
> > I'm working a non-graphical video editor. However, I
> > need a proper name for the project, and I have no idea
> > what to call it, so I'm taking suggestions from you.
>
> just call it "blind", the name is not taken afaik.

That's a fun name. I'll use it unless someone comes
up with something even better.

> > Currently there is no support for audio, I'm not sure
> > it's actually needed, but I will investigate this
> > later. If it's added, I will only add tools for audio,
> > it will not be for audio effects, such tools already
> > exists and are not needed.
>
> Well, audio should be in it in case you want to anything
> with it other than uploading webm's to 4chan which are
> silent by default.

I meant, that I don't think there is a need for the project
to support audio, ffmpeg and tools for effects are probably
enough.

> > The video editor uses it's own format, it is a simply
> > container with the metadata: number of frames, width,
> > heights, and pixel format, followed by a magic value
> > and the video in a raw format. Currently the only
> > support pixel format is CIE XYZ with alpha expressed in
> > `double`:s, but in the future I may also add support
> > for `float`:s for faster computations. So the format is
> > not portable between machines.
>
> single- and double-precision floating-point numbers are
> standardized and thus portable, however, you have to deal
> with endianness one way or another. I would generally
> recommend using doubles despite the speed-tradeoff,
> because rounding errors are horrible enough, especially
> if we're talking about an editing-pipeline.

Yes, that's why I choose to use it, and it will be
the default even if single-precision is added.