Re: [dev] Re: Linux distros that don't suck too too much

From: <sylvain.bertrand_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2017 11:19:54 +0000

On Wed, Feb 01, 2017 at 07:48:34PM +0100, Josuah Demangeon wrote:

> sylvain.bertrand_AT_gmail.com:
>
> > Useless to spend time on this, since guile is not suckless.
>
> I am curious about the languages that you would consider suckless.
>
> I learned POSIX shell scripting and awk, I am also trying C and a few lua.
>
> Is there something else you would advise to learn or something to avoid in
> properly used sh / awk / C / lua? Myrddin is on my to-do list.

Write it in simple C, it's the best compromise. Compose C programs with simple
sh scripts.
On the long term, you do not end up with a count of languages which has been
multiplied by 7348974389247389473298 hence increasing in pathological way the
cost of a "lambda user" open source OS regarding its software integration and
maintenance. Only thinking about a technical comfort zone in a specific case is
the opposit of suckless: think "as a whole", from coding to distro integration
and maintenance in terms of human and technical cost. If you are here, you are
looking for a cure to those diseases. Tons of our peers are toxic to others,
the worst: they are networked, powerfull and many are perfectly aware of their
poison.

What's totally crazy, we have still people posting to the suckless mailing list
who are 100% missing the point.

----

If you cannot "see" this and want to keep your way: try "swift" from our dear
friend apple corporation, which is better than "lua", of course! But you
should consider the trendy "javascript", but carefull! You must choose the
"most powerfull" javascript engine: I think the magnificient c++ object
oriented design of google v8 engine (free from any implicit code that will
force you to embrace the whole simple and straight forwarded design in order to
know what just one line of code actually do) will finish to convince you that's
the way to go... and I don't forget the amazing "repo" SDK much more able to
make you a good coffee than those GNU autotools.
In you quest of comfort zone, don't put aside, ruby (look at this marvel which
is puppet!!!), php, perl5 (perl6 is soooo much better), python2, python3 and
all the other (heard something about about haskell).

Maybe you heard about others?

In the end, you could stick with guile, or dive in c++/java(jee)/d/ocaml/etc.

Of course, it's easy to use any of them:they are all packaged on redhat/suse/ubuntu...

--
Sylvain