Re: [dev] Re: Linux distros that don't suck too too much

From: Михаил Ивко <ivko.mv_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2017 20:57:22 +0700

> Look at rust, they are trying: they are writting a kernel. But face the
> consequences: there are no syntax profiles... you get strings hardcoded in the
> syntax, why not threading while they're at it... lol.

The only part of rust srings that's "hardcoded" is that str is
different from [u8], so that indexing operations can be implemented
differently (to respect unicode character boundaries).
Things such as allocating memory for concatenated strings are not hardcoded.
This begs the question of why str is a primitive type, not a simple
wrapper type. I don't know enough rust to answer that.

> I wish you luck with
> their SDK: they have a rust compiler written in rust, but the main SDK
> (bootstrap), is just an insane bloat based on smelly c++ and... the infamous
> and magnificiently "comfy" mozilla build system. Where is the suckless compiler
> written in simple C with basic makefiles or idiotic but soooo ez to understand
> simple sh scripts?

So, to build rust without rust compiler you have to deal with suck. To
build C without C compiler... Can you even do that in this day and
age?