Re: [dev] [ubase] pager

From: Mattias Andrée <maandree_AT_kth.se>
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2017 10:49:52 +0100

On Sat, 4 Feb 2017 10:22:24 +0100
Josuah Demangeon <mail_AT_josuah.net> wrote:

> On February 4, 2017 2:03:16 AM GMT+01:00, "Mattias
> Andrée" <maandree_AT_kth.se> wrote:
> >
> > Well, this is embarrassing, I forgot to check you
> > program before starting on ul(1). However, I just ran
> >
> > MAN_KEEP_FORMATTING=y man man | ./iode
>
> I made escape sequences tooglable with flags, maybe that
> is the reason.
>
> You can try enabling colour interpreting with +R (or
> disabling it with -R). Either as command-line flag or as
> keybinding.

Silly me, I thought it was -R. I works, but if you place
util-linux's ul(1) between man(1) and iode you will see
a problem.

I'm working on libgraffiti which ul(1) will use, it will
support all escape sequences (I have read long lists of
escape sequences to find a pattern that recognise all
of them) along will things like combining marks. This
library will also be useful for pagers, terminals, and
similar programs.

iode seem to be able to do everything needed to view
man pages, but unlike ul(1) and most(1) it doesn't
support e.g. `printf 'aaa\r___'`, but it doesn't have
to as ul(1) can be used.

I would recommend making +R the default, what would
probably reduce confusion for users.