[dev] Re: looking for a simple music player

From: Larry Hynes <larry_AT_larryhynes.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2017 17:31:20 +0000

Cág <cag_AT_mailfence.com> wrote:
> I'm looking for something that looks like noice when I'm in my music
> folder: basically a list of file names and the current song's name and
> length at the bottom. No need for colours and album/year; ideally

mpg123 plays mp3s only, is a little old and cranky (it aborts with
alarming frequency for me) but it weighs in at 114K, has minimal
bells and whistles and a nice-ish 'terminal mode' interface.

https://www.mpg123.de/

It also handles streams:

$ mpg123 -_AT_ "http://www.rootslegacy.fr:8080/listen.pls?sid=1&t=.m3u"

A relation of mpg123, mpg321 is even smaller, at 72K on my machine,
and has even fewer bells and whistles.

$ mpg321 -K *.mp3

will play all the mp3s in the current dir and enable (-K) 'basic
keys' which are:

        * or / Increase or decrease volume.
        n Skip song.
        m Mute/unmute.

That's it. (If you add a -q flag, it won't even echo the track
title.) You can -z for shuffle, -Z for random, and a few other
fancy bits.

http://mpg321.sourceforge.net/