Re: [dev] [announce] mle: a small terminal-based text editor

From: Marc André Tanner <mat_AT_brain-dump.org>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2017 22:53:17 +0200

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 08:22:04PM +0100, Snobb wrote:
> I liked the idea of vis in its early stage until it went the "lua" way.

I'm sorry that you feel that way, but you can still completely disable Lua
during compile time and get a working editor (albeit with less features).

In my opinion Lua is among the least sucking languages for the purpose it
is used in vis. It is simple (almost everything is a table) but still
versatile and powerful. Also the implementation is rather nice. Up
to a point you can think of Lua as a runtime replacement for the C
pre-processor commonly used by suckless projects for configuration
purposes. Both approaches are better than writing your own configuration
parser.

Marc