Re: [dev] Surf update

From: <sylvain.bertrand_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2017 10:25:55 +0000

On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 08:56:58PM +0200, Quentin Rameau wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > This is not sane. There is no modern web engine which is suckless.
> >
> > Having a suckless front-end to those massive c++ object oriented brain
> > fuckages sounds way too much schizophrenic.
> >
> > The first step would be to code a modular modern web engine in simple
> > C or at least have an on-going effort towards it (which is a massive
> > work, see netsurf).
> >
> > That said, the real culprits are web designers not providing noscript
> > web portals to their web sites.
>
> Thanks for stating the obvious.

I got the urge to recall that obvious to people here, coze it's discussing way
too much on the surf front-end without anything done on solving the real pb:
the web engine.

I accounted for 3 other similar/critical issues while building my minimal
custom distro:
 - the linux compiler, gcc, is slowly and surely turning into a c++ pile of
   sh*t. (I was unrolling c++ into C from its libcpp component the other day,
   I can see now that c++ in gcc is the work of sick minds or/and gangsters).

 - llvm (which, unlike gcc, has been a c++ pile of sh*t right from the start) is
   one of the worst pieces of software I have ever seen, and if you want to
   compile GPU shaders you must have it.

 - harfbuzz, the _only_ unicode layout engine which has an interface changing
   all the time, and a brain damaged implementation. I did a C partial port
   from c++, and I can tell you about it is that the guys behind this code are
   trash. All GFX toolkits are dependent on it, all web engines are dependent on
   it, that for unicode layout computation.

The new obvious is: suckless is losing ground on critical pieces of software.

What seems to be the only way to get alternatives to those components: several
teams of several commited to suckless philosophy devs in a clear and sane
full-time "comfort zone" for several years. Coze, on the other side, many of
them are full-time employees in huge corporations/fondations with a luxuary
visibility and luxuary comfort zone.

--
Sylvain