Re: [dev] Surf update

From: Lumidify Productions <lumidify_AT_openmailbox.org>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2017 21:03:39 +0200

On Sat, May 27, 2017 at 12:38:11PM +0000, sylvain.bertrand_AT_gmail.com wrote:
> On Sat, May 27, 2017 at 12:57:30PM +0200, Lumidify Productions wrote:
> > Hi, I just wanted to mention that there _is_ another layout engine,
> > graphite (http://graphite.sil.org, https://github.com/silnrsi/graphite), but
> > there is a different mentality behind it (all the layout data is included
> > in the font itself), and it also is C++.
>
> You must use graphite specific font format. And as far as I can remember as a
> c++ ABI only (the worst of the worst).

Actually, graphite2, the rework of the original engine, can be used in pure C.
However, it is still written in C++. I just wanted to mention that harfbuzz
technically isn't _the_ only shaping engine.
Regarding the specific font format - I don't think that's necessarily a bad
idea, especially for less used languages, but the way it is implemented
may not be the best.

--
Lumidify Productions