Re: [dev] Interesting Web Browser Decoupling Concept

From: <sylvain.bertrand_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2017 11:04:30 +0000

On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 12:06:38PM +0200, Kamil CholewiƄski wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Jun 2017, sylvain.bertrand_AT_gmail.com wrote:
> > Ofc, some internet sites do provide services which are hard dependent
> > on a rich GUI (I usually mention soundcloud).
>
> Actually audio and video playback these days can be done with pure HTML
> markup, which is sufficient for a completely bare-bones SoundCloud or
> YouTube replacement, no JS needed.

When mentioning souldcloud, I usually refer to the "sound editing" feature.
They have a web API, but I cannot tell if the mobile app auth web page is
noscript... and even with that, I cannot create an account without a
modern web engine or even log in using an existing user account...

For youtube, we agree 100%, but it seems that the javascript/modern web engine
combo is used as a kind of DRM... namely the dependency by complexity is _on
purpose_ (see the user agreement of youtube: you MUST use the javascript/modern
web engine video player. That's of course is abusive and massively evil).
<video> and <audio> pointing to a simple dash manifest is enough.

BTW, some of the fast degenerating internet sites are those from google. For
instance, some critical account operations cannot be done without the
javascript/modern web engine combo.

cheers,

--
Sylvain