Re: [dev] [dwm] My patch

From: Kristaps Čivkulis <kristaps.civkulis_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2017 19:34:55 +0300

Hi,

Maybe I explained it badly.

By default, the visible tiled windows form two "stacks" - left and
right. By calling incnmaster (which by default is MODKEY+i and
MODKEY+p), you increase/decrease the size of the left stack (this size
is specific for each monitor and is stored in nmaster variable).
Currently you can increase this variable beyond the number of visible
tiled windows (even cause overflow). With my patch you shouldn't be
able to increase nmaster larger than visible tiled windows.

But with my patch you can still get this variable larger than number
of windows. For example if you create a lot of windows, increase
nmaster, then destroy or hide these windows. My patch doesn't make it
decrease nmaster after that.

I understood that my patch would make more sense if there would be
workspaces instead of tags and nmaster would be assigned for each
workspace. But I still think that by holding MODKEY+i (or whichever
increases nmaster) shouldn't cause its integer overflow.

Thanks.