Re: [dev] [st, dmenu] Crash when attempting to display characters with missing glyphs

From: Silvan Jegen <s.jegen_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2017 08:34:25 +0200

Hi

On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 7:44 AM, B. Wilson <x_AT_wilsonb.com> wrote:
> The character in question was U+1F917. I was able to reproduce the crash in st by cat-ing a file containing the single bad character. Pasting it from the X clipboard also reliably causes the crash.
>
> This is the error that is produced:
>
> X Error of failed request: BadLength (poly request too large or internal Xlib length error)
> Major opcode of failed request: 139 (RENDER)
> Minor opcode of failed request: 20 (RenderAddGlyphs)
> Serial number of failed request: 1442
> Current serial number in output stream: 1454
>
> I'm guessing that somewhere a 'missing glyph' error isn't getting checked, but I wasn't able to find the relevant code from a quick perusal.

In that case I would expect st to crash if I paste the character into
it. Instead I get the following:

$ echo 🤗 | xxd
00000000: f09f a497 0a

so st just shows me a placeholder character (tofu) and no crash occurs.

Which version of st are you using? I am at git tip
7f990328e4fec8dfaaad311cb8af2304b58c872e .