Re: [dev] suckless.org TLS / HTTPS support

From: Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2017 16:52:08 +0200

On 1 September 2017 at 10:15, ilf <ilf_AT_zeromail.org> wrote:
> No, I am serious. Users, who think HTTPS sucks, shouldn't use HTTP euther,
> because that sucks, too. The choice shouldn't be HTTPS or HTTP, but HTTPS or
> Gopher. But please let HTTP die.

Gopher is long dead, only some retro-enthusiasts are running gopher
servers these days. I'm not against setting up gopher as an option,
but not for the price to disable HTTP GET (which is all that we need
after switching to git: and ssh: for code access).

> In the current setup, users who type the domain suckless.org into their URL
> get HTTP cleartext. I think these users should get HTTPS.

Why? If I connect to suckless.org 80 with telnet and type GET /
HTTP/1.0 I want to see plain text.

> And what about old external links to the site, they are currently 100% HTTP,
> too. Without a redirect, HTTP will continue ti be used by many users
> although many would rathet use HTTPs - or don't care.

I explained this already. If I see a http link I expect an http link.
External links will migrate to HTTPS slowly.

-Anselm