Re: [dev] [dmenu] doesnt open apps

From: Alex Pilon <alp_AT_alexpilon.ca>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2017 16:09:33 -0500

> On Wed, Dec 20, 2017, at 16:19, Jorge Ga wrote:
> > OS: Debian 9 WM: i3
> > When i open dmenu (mod+d on i3) i can search any app, but when i try
> > to open, it just don't open.
> > I try to debug the commands using i3 debug mode but i'm kinda lost,
> > also i find on some arch linux post that maybe the fonts can be an
> > issue (i have custom fonts on debian) but i don't know if thats the
> > problem.

Really? How do you even know fonts are related to the problem? dmenu did
draw itself, right? It's just not running your programs. Please expand,
because we don't know exactly what you mean, nor have you referenced the
post. Also, there may be some silent Arch Linux users here, myself
included, but they usually actually understand how an operating system
works. Don't bandy the names Arch or Ubuntu about unless you want to be
prepared to receive some flak from particular other community members.

On Wed, Dec 20, 2017 at 04:26:44PM +0000, Martin Tournoij wrote:
> Your question is impossible to answer, since it doesn't contain
> any useful information at all, other than "it doesn't work".
> A good start would be to say what commands you used
> and what the output of that was.

That and running dmenu_run under -x, (side bonus, also see any output
from dmenu itself, including the segfault message from the shell),
giving us your $PATH, etc. Heck, you could strace the syscalls to see if
it ever does an execve.

> > I have the same version of i3 and suckless tools on an Ubuntu machine
> > and works great.
> > I hope you can help me, i dont want to reinstall another distro.

Pardon me for being rudely blunt, but what the heck does this have to do
with another distro? Really. Distros aren't unmodifiable monoliths. Some
are just more or less a pain, or designed for it.