Re: [dev] sselp and surf - does not transfer after copying link

From: Greg Reagle <greg.reagle_AT_umbc.edu>
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2018 11:22:50 -0500

On Thu, Jan 4, 2018, at 10:06, Kart Etlinger wrote:
> Tested on git and 2.0.
>
> Actions:
>
> 1.Right click on the link
>
> 2.Press copy link location
>
> 3.Open terminal and run sselp
>
> Sselp does not print copied link.

I think that this is expected/normal behavior, not a bug. I would assume that choosing "copy link location" (from surf or from *any* program) would put the link into CLIPBOARD. And sselp (version 0.2) prints the contents of PRIMARY (acting like the middle mouse button a.k.a. button 2). This article [1] explains how the different X selections work.

You can use xsel -ob to get the link printed. Note that xsel -o is equivalent to ssellp.

If anyone wants to update the webpage (https://tools.suckless.org/x/sselp) or manpage of sselp to add that it works on the PRIMARY selection, I think that would be an improvement in its documentation.

[1] https://specifications.freedesktop.org/clipboards-spec/clipboards-latest.txt