Re: [dev] suckless too to minify CSS, JS and html

From: Martin Tournoij <martin_AT_arp242.net>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2018 19:32:49 +0100

On Fri, May 18, 2018, at 18:38, Hiltjo Posthuma wrote:
> > As for my general thoughts on minification: use common sense. If you're
> > creating one of those pages with 3M of JavaScript then it probably makes
> > sense. If you're creating something more sane then it's probably just
> > wasted effort at best.
> >
> Don't create pages with 3MB of Javascript, that's insane.

I agree. My boss, our web designers, and many other people don't, so
unfortunately I do have to deal with it.

> I think concatenation/bundling in one file is fine, but not
> minification, because it makes the source unreadable.

I'm not really sure if I understand what the harm in that is as such? I
personally find it useful to have the full source for debugging my
*own* websites, but I couldn't care less what someone else does with
their website. Do you ever read the source of random websites?

> Carefully evaluate what you actually use in the site. Don't use
> bloated Javascript (such as jQuery) and CSS frameworks (such as
> Bootstrap).

Sometimes using jQuery or Bootstrap makes sense. It really depends on
what you're building. If you're building a more complex website then
using jQuery can be perfectly reasonable. For a simpler website with
little JS? Probably not.