Re: [dev] ASCII Delimited Text

From: Connor Lane Smith <cls_AT_lubutu.com>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2018 17:38:24 +0100

Hi,

On 21 May 2018 at 17:12, Adrian Grigore <adrian.emil.grigore_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm having problems compiling usul:

This is a surprise. Where did you get usul from? I'm not sure even I
have a copy any more! The only reason I can think of, though, is that
you need to specify the -L libdir.

I have been wondering lately about resurrecting usul, since 'tabular
munging' with Unix utilities without the ability to set $FS and $RS
can be really unpleasant, and I've had to do quite a bit of it
recently.

I did also write a program to complement usul which performs elastic
tabbing on its input, the idea being that you end up with a nice
tabular view in your terminal. I think ideally you might want 'real'
terminal support for it though, as when printing to the tty you either
need to buffer a lot of data (i.e. until a line with no FS), or you
need to do crazy tty-rewriting ANSI escapes, which it did support but
is a massive hack.

Thanks,
Connor