Re: [dev] [meta] ML archive for download?

From: Laslo Hunhold <dev_AT_frign.de>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2018 09:46:23 +0200

On Wed, 8 Aug 2018 09:07:03 +0200
Silvan Jegen <s.jegen_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

Dear Silvan,

> Not that I am aware of.
>
> Not being able to easily download the whole archive of an ML is
> actually the biggest gripe I have with them. In Mailman (which seems
> to be the most popular ML software) I have not been able to find a way
> to do it. The only ML software that seems to allow this easily is the
> new PublicInbox ML Archiver[0] which looks interesting. It treats MLs
> like a git archive which can then be easily pulled. Sadly, the
> software itself seems to be written mostly in Perl...

we discussed this at the ml. It would be really cool to have a very
simple and minimal mailing list web interface. Of course it should be
static and allow downloading in one way or another.

For maximum simplicity, one could imagine a program that just recurses
the mail folders, creates a mail file list, reads each mail file and
extracts meta-information, then does a sorting and generates an index
for each.
This approach would also make it simple to create a Gopher index as
well.

With best regards

Laslo

--