Re: [dev] GPL free Linux

From: Kurt Van Dijck <dev.kurt_AT_vandijck-laurijssen.be>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2018 20:37:55 +0100

On ma, 12 nov 2018 13:14:38 -0800, Michael Forney wrote:

> Xorg seems to work similarly, and you might be able to avoid libudev
> and retain hotplug support by writing a "netlink" config backend here:
> https://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/xserver/tree/config

Long ago, I wrote such handler, to remove udev and save 5 seconds boot
time for an embedded device.
I'm still using that now on my laptop, never had problems.

https://github.com/kurt-vd/xorg-server/commit/a569b9972b7dfdbc1b2a53e161ec3e3bcb6195cf

It comes with a helper program just to add/remove input devices with
options. That helper is called from any script you like, and you can
tune options for each device.

https://gitlab.com/kvandijck/x11hotplug.git

I found such approach superior over adding direct netlink support to
xorg, due to the ability to touch the options of each individual device
before it enters xorg.
I've seen the xorg syntax to modify device options using udev, what a
beast!

Well, I can find my solution superior, I'm looking forward to your
comments, since you also want to drop udev.

Kind regards,
Kurt