Re: [dev] Re: mus - A simple album playlist based music player

From: Hadrien Lacour <hadrien.lacour_AT_posteo.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2018 12:19:09 +0100

On Thu, Nov 15, 2018 at 03:29:14PM -0800, Andy Valencia wrote:
> > I've just finished a simple project of mine to replace cmus with something a
> > bit more UNIXy and I think it could interest some people.
> I wrestled with various ways of conveniently playing my music,
> and eventually came up with:
>
> http://sources.vsta.org:7100/wplayer
>
> You run it on the server with all your tracks (my own collection runs
> around 200k files, flac/mp3/ogg), and then you just point your web
> browser at wplayer running on your server. Both Firefox and Chrome
> support flac/mp3/ogg, but if you're tight on bandwidth you can add
> "?noflac" to the URL and it'll transcode flac to ogg as you play
> files.
>
> Andy

It is a more complete and flexible solution than mine, but certainly more
complex and demanding as far as dependencies goes (python, HTTP server). It
also is more conventional in its approach, with a tag db created at startup.

This is something I wanted to avoid, because cmus scanning my collection during
my machine startup made my HGST HDD produce death throes like noises.