Re: [dev] [ubase] Implementing users and groups management

From: Laslo Hunhold <dev_AT_frign.de>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2018 15:37:12 +0100

On Mon, 26 Nov 2018 13:53:05 +0100
ilmich <ardutu_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

Dear Michele,

> for my needs I'm developing some lightweight tools for users and
> groups management (like useradd, userdel, groupadd and so on) and I'm
> trying to adhere to POSIX standard and your guidelines.
> If I wanted to release patches, ubase could be the right place!?

given these tools are not standardized at all, ubase would be the right
place. In this case though, one would have to think which underlying
database to use. The shadow password format is most prominent
nowadays, with all its drawbacks. You can read more about it here[0]
(including manpages for the utils implemented in this format).

I remember we discussed a relatively new concept that is better thought
out, and we even discussed it on IRC a few years back regarding ubase,
but I am not sure if it was OpenBSD's approach (see passwd(5)[1]). It
would be interesting to implement it for Linux in some way, maybe even
including conversion tools or something.

What do the others think?

With best regards

Laslo

[0]:https://www.mankier.com/package/shadow-utils