Re: [dev] Yet another "sane alternatives" thread

From: Martin Tournoij <martin_AT_arp242.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2018 00:36:33 +1300

On Tue, Dec 25, 2018, at 10:11, Cág wrote:
> 1. Is there any network utility suite like net-tools or iproute2 but
> sane and active? Or maybe net-tools was forked by somebody?

Usually the stuff you want to do with these tools are limited to just a
few tasks ("connect to wired network", "connect to wireless network",
"scan for wireless networks"), so I write a small wrapper script that
does these few tasks and run that. I don't really bother making it very
flexible; if I need a slightly different command I'll just copy/paste it
out of there.

I do the same with stuff like xrandr since I can never remember how
that works either.

> 2. PulseAudio doesn't need no ranting. Neither does ALSA. But latest
> commits on OSS hg site are from 2012, and from 2016 on GitHub. Is there
> active development? I see a release from 2017.
> How good is the device support? I'm thinking of getting an external
> Sound Blaster and wondering if it supports it.

I just use PulseAudio. I don't like it, but it "Works Most Of The Time"™
these days. It's better than a few years ago when I had to restart it at
least once a day because the daemon got borked.

Neither of these answers are especially satisfactory :-( The problem
with both of these issues is that they're not easy to fix as they're
tied in to the wider ecosystem (especially the audio part).