Re: [dev] JFS filesystem

From: Ciprian Dorin Craciun <ciprian.craciun_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2019 22:33:47 +0300

On Sat, Apr 20, 2019 at 1:29 AM Daniel Cegiełka
<daniel.cegielka_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> * JFS [1]
> Forgotten file system. JFS is what ext4 should be. This is a very well
> thought and well-designed file system. It is very light and has a tiny
> resource consumption. The first journaling file system plus unicode
> support. Here is a small comparison of the kernel modules (size):

I used to have JFS as my default filesystem for Linux until a few
years ago when I switched to Ext4. It was indeed a fast file-system,
especially for large number of files, however I think it suffers from
lack of attention from developers.

Moreover it happened to me once during an online-resize that the
kernel issued an error and remounted my partition read-only. Luckly
nothing was lost, however it wasn't a pleasent experience.

As some others on this list have mentioned, JFS and power failure
don't mix well and usually it loses your file (i.e. truncates it);
however I bet the issue here is not the actual file-system but the
applications that don't `fsync` a file before `close` and just assume
that `write` + `close` implies persistance. (As this happened to me
also on Ext4.)

Ciprian.