Re: [dev] Programming as a hobby - which language?

From: Laslo Hunhold <dev_AT_frign.de>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2019 17:39:51 +0200

On Mon, 06 May 2019 17:06:13 +0200
sZpak <szpak_AT_reakcja.org> wrote:

Der sZpak,

> I prepare myself for doing programming classes/course for
> kids/teenagers in a local community center. And I need your advice.
>
> **I have to choose language/technology/environment to teach.**
>
> My current ideas are.
>
> For older teenagers:
> * PYTHON, +pygame. (I've already did such classes in the past and It
> worked pretty well.)

go for Julia. Python will be the new Java in 5-10 years and it makes
more sense to learn a language that is consistent within itself. But
this thread will explode so please guys, I don't want to discuss that
here.
Julia has become very popular here at the CS and theoretical physics
departments in Cologne, and it is growing mindshare in the scientific
community.

> For younger ones:
> * SCRATCH (I don't like it but maybe 7-12-year-olds do.)
>
> Most of you have many years of programming experience and many of you
> started pretty early. So I'll be very happy to hear your ideas.
>
> But please note that it's going to be a "programming AS A HOBBY"
> course, not
> "programming course for your future professional career".

One should start with C, using K&R's "The C Programming Language". It's
the only way to know how computers work behind the scenes. Everything
else is an abstraction.

With best regards

Laslo

--