[dev] plank, various other programs don't work correctly in dwm 6.2

From: ornx <ornx_AT_protonmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2019 19:40:30 +0000

I recently tried to get plank (a dock program) to work in dwm. When I tried, it behaved very strangely:

* Mousing over an icon renders the text for that icon far away from the cursor (on another monitor, for me)
* Setting the position and alignment didn't have the desired effect. For example, setting the position to "top" while the alignment was "start" might put the bar in the middle of the top of the screen.
* Intellihide mode does not work at all.
* Autohide for some reason puts the bar in the middle of the screen when it is hidden, but it stays in the normal position when it is not.
* Moving icons in the bar sometimes works, but just as often removes the icon immediately after it is clicked and dragged instead of letting you drag to rearrange the bar.

I tried this program in awesome and none of those problems occurred at all, which makes me think the issue lies with dwm. Turning off my other monitors helped somewhat with the position and alignment problems, but autohide putting the bar in the middle of the screen persisted. I also suspect it is dwm because a few other programs (mostly Windows programs run via wine) which worked fine in awesome now experience similarly strange behavior vis a vis window positioning (clicking on certain buttons moves the window to strange places, and similar things).

I would very much like to fix this issue so that I can easily use these programs on dwm. Does anyone have any idea what could cause this kind of behavior? Even just vague speculation might be helpful.

Thanks,

- ornx