Re: [dev] Suckless/Simple version control

From: David Phillips <david_AT_sighup.nz>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2019 20:44:17 +1300

On Mon, Dec 09, 2019 at 10:42:09AM +0100, Kurt Van Dijck wrote:
> On ma, 09 dec 2019 21:22:05 +1300, David Phillips wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 09, 2019 at 05:47:42AM +0000, Jacob Louis Prosser wrote:
> > > Hey all,
> > >
> > > I started working on my own version control system working with patch/diff. Each commit is just a patch changing the last commit's files to the new ones. It is currently implemented as a collection of shell scripts https://gitlab.com/jacobprosser8/svcs. The implementation is god awful as I am not the best shell scripter, feel free to yell at me.
> >

> > This reminds me of quilt: https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/quilt
>
> indeed.
>
> Long ago, quilt was good for maintaining patch files in a buildroot or
> similar project.
> Now, I find myself working in git and do a format-patch in the end to produce
> the patch files that I need.
> IMHO, git supersedes quilt with several magnitudes,
>
> What is wrong with git?
>
> Kurt
>

> > BR,
> > David

I still use quilt periodically since it is the standard patching tool used in
systems like Yocto (not exactly suckless), which I encounter in my current
line of work. I find it easier to manually touch patches up (or not, as the
case may be) with quilt, since Yocto will leave the system in a state that
lends itself to this. AFAIK it's also pretty standard in projects like OpenWRT
to use quilt.

That said, I don't mind using git for the purpose outside Yocto. I personally
don't see much of a case for developing an alternative, but don't want to
discourage anyone else from doing so if they feel it proves useful as a
project to hone their skills and play around.

David