Re: [dev] [slock] Slock left a file in /etc/pam.d after uninstall

From: Laslo Hunhold <dev_AT_frign.de>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2019 08:47:18 +0100

On Wed, 18 Dec 2019 18:23:03 +0600
Enan Ajmain <3nan.ajmain_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

Dear Enan,

> I just uninstalled slock and did a search for leftover manpages or
> config files. I saw that there is a file left in /etc/pam.d folder. I
> think it's supposed to do the password authentication.
>
> My question is, should I leave the file as is? Or is it gonna mess
> with Xscreensaver?

what could go wrong? If you want help from our side, we would like to
know e.g. the filenames. Try moving the files into another folder and
see if anything breaks. Slock does not have pam implemented, so it
would surprise me if anything was affected, but you never know what the
distribution changed along the way.

The worst case I could imagine is that slock is unable to unlock the
screen, as it cannot check the password anymore. If you want to go
100% sure, GNU coreutils contains timeout(1), so you could do a

        $ timeout 20 slock

which would start slock but kill it, no matter what, after 20 seconds,
allowing you to easily test your setup.

With best regards

Laslo Hunhold