Re: [dev] [st][general] replace dmenu and other X tools by st

From: Tait Hoyem <tait.hoyem_AT_protonmail.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2020 12:55:02 +0000

Would this not have problems with dwm?
AFAIR, dwm doesn't have floating windows in the center of the screen. I admit I may have missed something there though.

I suppose the entire point of the suckless utilities is that they can be used in any environment. Let's suppose there is a setup where windows are unable to be centered, would we want to exclude those people from using a dmenu-replacement? Maybe an XMonad user, or someone running an OpenBSD manager decided to set up their system to explicitly *not* allow floating windows. This user would be completely alienated by this term-based launcher.

On top of that, it stops me from using different colors and transparency for my dmenu than I use for my terminal.

Perhaps I misunderstand?
Are you saying this could be a decent suppliment to the X programs? Or are you saying that these are actual viable replacements?

Let me know. I am interested, but I think there is a possibility I don't completely get you.

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.