Re: [dev] [st][general] replace dmenu and other X tools by st

From: Tait Hoyem <tait.hoyem_AT_protonmail.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2020 17:25:40 +0000

> > Let's suppose there is a setup where windows are unable to be
> > centered, would we want to exclude those people from using a
> > dmenu-replacement?
>
> There was nothing in my original post about centering. dmenu by default
> is not centered either. If you want to have it centered, it should be
> easy to patch that into st.

Sorry, I wasn't clear.

What I am trying to say is that dmenu is consistent across desktop environments.
Your idea could *potentially* reduce this consistency by adhering to the DE/WM not just *always* showing up on the top.
I suppose in some peoples' eyes it would increase the consistency because it would conform to whatever DE/WM they are running.

Hmmmm, now you've got me thinking...

> I think many X
> tools could be replaced by TUIs running in st.

What other X tools are you thinking of?

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.