Re: [dev] [libgrapheme] announcement

From: Laslo Hunhold <dev_AT_frign.de>
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2020 09:38:36 +0100

On Fri, 27 Mar 2020 21:09:45 +0000
sylvain.bertrand_AT_gmail.com wrote:

Dear Sylvain,

> How about making it "work" with "One Compilation Unit" projects?

I gave this a lot of thought, but came to the conclusion, that it would
not be beneficial in this case. Unicode is a moving target, as they
release a new version every year. Compared to "static" problems like
arg.h or a one-header-csv-parser, libgrapheme thus is, in my opinion,
not suited for it and should be provided over an upgraded path within
the package manager.

> I know it is a bit annoying because it requires some pre-processor
> plumbing for identifier names in order to avoid collisions in the one
> and only C global namespace.

Yeah, it takes a bit of work, but makes sense in many cases. But given
my points above, one-compilation-unit-projects are not my objective.

I've tried to make the library as simple as possible though. It, by
default, creates a static and a dynamic library and only has one
header, grapheme.h. I'll inquire at the different distros if that is a
good model or they would like to see a bit of change.

With best regards

Laslo