Re: [dev] On how dwm hides windows

From: Silvan Jegen <s.jegen_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2020 15:59:37 +0200

Dear Laslo

Laslo Hunhold <dev_AT_frign.de> wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Jun 2020 14:39:03 +0200
> "Silvan Jegen" <s.jegen_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Dear Silvan,
>
> > The first beginnings are here (not by me):
> >
> > https://github.com/djpohly/dwl
> >
> > It uses the wlroots[0] wayland compositor library which a lot of
> > people may not consider suckless however. I think the decision to use
> > this library is sound (as long as you don't want to depend on
> > swc[1]/wld for this). You end up replacing ~100K SLOC of X (AFAIR)
> > with ~100K SLOC of wlroots.
>
> it would not be suckless to just write a wrapper around wlroots. Same
> applies to just writing a weston-plugin for that purpose. I know that
> there's lots of repitition in wayland, but I'm positive there can be a
> way to do it on our own.

I also feel like there should be a slimmer solution, but since you will
want most of the Wayland protocol support that is already implemented
in wlroots, I expect a lot of duplicated code in any case.

BTW, I just quickly checked and Xorg[0] actually contains more like 500K
lines of code according to

wc -l $(find . -type f -name '*.c' -o -name '*.h')

Not sure how much of that is actually currently still in use of course.

Cheers,

Silvan

[0] https://github.com/freedesktop/xorg-xserver