Re: [dev] [sbase][tar] GNU tar support

From: Sergey Matveev <stargrave_AT_stargrave.org>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2020 11:38:44 +0300

*** Hadrien Lacour [2020-11-25 19:27]:
>The tl;dr is that you either use POSIX ustar with its path length and file size
>limits, or use GNU tar when your input doesn't fit; pax was supposed to be the
>replacement, but is more or less unused/ignored.

In my opinion it is better to improve pax support, than to deal with
(agreed) proprietary GNU ones, as it is a long time POSIX standard.
FreeBSD's tar, using libarchive, by default makes ustar, and fallbacks
to pax if something can not be stored in ustar (sizes, filenames, other
metainformation).

Moreover, that is much more important comparing to GNU tar: pax is
backward compatible with ustar. Every kind of metainformation that can
not be explicitly stored in ustar will look like subdirectory with
key-value files in pax and can be *extracted* anyway.

--
Sergey Matveev (http://www.stargrave.org/)