Re: [dev] Build system: redo

From: Sergey Matveev <stargrave_AT_stargrave.org>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2020 21:44:23 +0300

Greetings!

I see that redo subject was already there before:
https://lists.suckless.org/dev/1207/11916.html
but much time passed since that discussion!

That year I tried redo and it was really life-changing. And no, Plan9 mk
is not full-fledged replacement for (POSIX/BSD/whatever) Make, that
solves all issues DJB noted. But redo leaves no place for mk too.

Uriel wrote that it could be worth looking at until it will be written
on C or Go. Now there are pure C https://github.com/leahneukirchen/redo-c
and pure Go http://www.goredo.cypherpunks.ru/ implementations, not
taking in advance various pure POSIX shell implementations.
goredo was written as a replacement to Python apenwarr/redo's
https://redo.readthedocs.io/en/latest/ already mentioned in that
maillist before, because of performance, reliability (fsyncs) and
simplicity reasons (no SQLite3 database, just plaintext recfiles) with
nearly all convenient features apenwarr's implementation has.

I love suckless principles, and support them in most of my software --
redo is clearly without any doubts for me is in the suckless category
with its genuine simplicity, flexibility and power, deserving to "rock".

And some links just for reminding:
https://fzakaria.com/2020/06/08/my-love-letter-to-redo.html
https://apenwarr.ca/log/20101214
https://redo.readthedocs.io/en/latest/
http://jdebp.eu/FGA/introduction-to-redo.html
And for russian speaking people my hailing article to redo:
https://m.habr.com/ru/post/517490/ with short full redo description and
comparison: http://www.stargrave.org/redo-proscons.html

--
Sergey Matveev (http://www.stargrave.org/)