Re: [dev] Build system: redo

From: Jeremy <jer_AT_jer.cx>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2020 10:00:30 -0800

Hey Sergey,

Thank you for this in-depth example. This is helpful.

Would you happen to know why $3 is necessary, and why one can't write
to $1 directly?

I'm working on a project that involves cloning & compiling musl-gcc,
and am cuious whether redo could be a good fit.

I've cloned musl, and I have the following in /bin/musl-gcc.do:
cd /usr/src/musl
find . -name '*.[ch]' | xargs redo-ifchange
./configure --prefix=/usr && make install syslibdir=/lib

If I `redo /bin/musl-gcc.do`, it will complain that I am overwriting the
target(redo-python) or it will just truncate the target(redo-c).

Maybe this usecase is irrelevant to the scope of redo, though I'm not sure.
What do you think?

Jeremy