Re: [dev] [ii] SASL over TOR question

From: Spenser Truex <truex_AT_equwal.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2021 15:28:59 -0800

On 21/01/15 11:44AM, Jan Klemkow wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 01:42:43AM -0800, Spenser Truex wrote:
> > Has anyone a working setup for ii->sasl->tor?
>
> I use ii with ucspi-patch[1] and ucspi-tools[2] to connect to IRC
> servers via Tor and with SSL for certificate-user-authentication.
>
> [1]: https://tools.suckless.org/ii/patches/ucspi/
> [2]: https://github.com/younix/ucspi/
>
> -Jan

Thanks Jan, I will be using this patch on my client.

This seems like a much simpler arrangement than ii -> cyrus-sasl Unix
socket -> socat to local port -> stunnel -> torsocks. Seems pretty absurd to
be running this many complex servers on my machine just so I can connect
my IRC client, though it would be fine when using ii as a bouncer.

Further was I confused, not understanding that SASL is not a part of
SSL, but a separate thing.

Thanks.
--
Spenser Truex        https://equwal.com