Re: [dev] [dwm][bug] Programs teleport tag on startup

From: Eric Pruitt <eric.pruitt_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2021 22:25:48 -0800

On Sat, Jan 16, 2021 at 10:13:11PM -0800, Spenser Truex wrote:
> To me this seems like undesirable behaviour, since after opening a
> program one has to wait for it to load before switching the current tag.
>
> Reproduction:
> Run a program (eg. firefox) in tag 1
> Switch tag view before it loads to tag 2
> It gets labeled in tag 2, not tag 1.
>
> Expect: use tag 1, not 2.
>
> I can't imagine any way that this is desirable. I will try to patch a
> fix later, seems like low hanging fruit.

This is completely unsurprising to me because dwm doesn't know about the
application until a window gets created. Are there window managers that
do NOT behave this way with respect to workspaces? I can think of ways
you could work around this, but I wouldn't consider any of them low
hanging fruit. What do you have in mind to address this?

Eric