Re: [dev] [st] libxft-bgra X Error

From: Luuk van Baal <luukvbaal_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2021 20:13:38 +0200

From: Страхиња Радић<contact_AT_strahinja.org>
Sent:21/04/19 08:07pm
Subject:Re: [dev] [st] libxft-bgra X Error
> On 21/04/19 07:06, Страхиња Радић wrote:
> > Interesting, I'm not getting this error. I use Artix Linux, libxft-bgra
> > 2.3.3.r7.7808631e-1 from AUR, vim 8.2.2653-1 and my modified st which I
> > regularly update from suckless repo[1]. Also ttf-nerd-fonts-symbols, *not*
> > ttf-nerd-fonts-symbols-mono, as the latter package has a bug with the uppercase
> > "E".[2] (Maybe related?)
>
> After further testing, I can say that this bug does happen, but inconsistently,
> and with no obvious way to reproduce. When it does happen, I get the following
> output:
>
> X Error of failed request: RenderBadPicture (invalid Picture parameter)
> Major opcode of failed request: 139 (RENDER)
> Minor opcode of failed request: 8 (RenderComposite)
> Picture id in failed request: 0x1
> Serial number of failed request: 4871
> Current serial number in output stream: 5009
>
> It also isn't tied to vim. I tried using joe -asis and less, with the same
> result. Interestingly enough, cat iconlookup doesn't crash st, even when
> scrolling back with tmux to the offending lines.

Yeah this is what I experienced as well. Seems to depend on what exactly is rendered
on the screen but usually scrolling around line 160 in iconlookup seems to crash st.
On my system with font size 16 and full screen (1920 x 1080, showing 47 lines) it
crashes without fail when opening iconlookup and going to line 160 though.